An authentic conversation with world leading expert on positive psychology Professor Lea Waters.
In part 2 of our interview with psychologist, researcher, speaker, author and world leader in the field of Positive Psychology, Prof Lea Waters, explains how she is finally in a good space after nearly three decades of counselling, that emotions happen in our physiology not our hearts, how society confuses anger with aggression, why mindfulness is one of the most effective ways of managing our way through Covid, what adversarial growth is, how shame is put into us and that self-compassion is the antidote to shame.
Lea also explains:
• T.E.A.R – to accept reality; experience the distress; adjust to the new situation; reinvest in your happiness
• Now is the perfect time to develop new habits
• Shame is not internally generated; shame is imprinted into you by someone else
• Shame loses its power when you speak it out aloud
• Guilt is the emotion that we’ve done something wrong and it motivates us to repair or restore
• Compassion is the ability to witness someone’s else’s suffering and want to alleviate it
• Vulnerability gives other people permission to talk about their own experiences
You can find Lea Waters, PhD at:
1 The Strength Switch (book): https://www.penguin.com.au/books/the-strength-switch-9781925324426
2 The Strength Switch (online positive family course): https://vwb.thinkific.com/courses/the-strength-switch $99 USD What your family will learn and experience:
• Help you find a new and positive way of seeing the qualities and talents in each other.
• Create an energizing and fun approach to parenting and family communication.
• Give you a lens to understand the perspectives and motivations of other family members.
• Provide ways to uncover new strengths in each family member that you may not have seen before.
• Foster a bonding family approach that builds warmth, trust and happiness.
1 Family Fun Pack: https://www.leawaters.com/shop/family-fun-pack $40 USD Perfect for families in quarantine, isolation or just practising social distancing, this Family Fun Pack of 21 activities has been specifically designed by Lea to get your kids off the screen and create a sense of togetherness.
2 Strength Stars Cards: available in hard copy $35 USD or virtual $25 USD The Strengths Stars cards provide a learning tool for young children to discover and develop their character strengths. Strength Stars cards are based on the philosophy of early education that recognise the early years as a critical period in children’s learning, development and identity.
3 Strengths for Kids and Teens Cards: available in hard copy $35 USD or virtual $25 USD The Strengths cards provide a learning tool for kids and teens to discover and develop their character strengths. These cards are one part of the Strengths for Kids and Teens program currently in development by psychologist and education expert Lea Waters (PhD) based upon her university research and acclaimed book ‘The Strength Switch’.
Support the show: http://pukaup.com
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy