Why and when your consent is necessary
When you register as a participant of any Puka Up event, wellbeing program or for any other service, you provide consent for us and our third party practitioners to access and use your personal information, so they can provide you with the best possible support and service. Only staff who need to see your personal information will have access to it. If we need to use your information for anything else, we will seek additional consent from you to do this.
Why do we collect, use, hold and share your personal information?
We collect and administer a range of personal information for the purposes of providing services, raising funds and promoting the work of Puka Up.
We recognise the right of individuals to have their personal information administered in a manner that meets their reasonable expectation to privacy in accordance with both legislation where applicable and the core values and principles of Puka Up.
What personal information do we collect?
The information we will collect about you may include your:
- names, date of birth, addresses and contact details
- emergency contact person name and contact details
- relevant medical history that is disclosed.
How do we collect your personal information?
We may collect your personal information in several different ways:
- Via your registration form to participate in any Puka Up event, wellbeing program or for any other service.
- During the course of providing services, we may collect further personal information. This can include via electronic transfer the receiving of records from your referee if applicable and correspondence with other health providers in the case of duty of care issues.
- We may also collect your personal information when you visit our website, send us an email, telephone us, make an appointment.
- In some circumstances personal information may also be collected from other sources. Often this is because it is not practical or reasonable to collect it from you directly. This may include information from:
- your guardian, power of attorney or responsible person
- your employer
- other involved healthcare providers, such as specialists, allied health professionals, hospitals, referee and community health services.
When, why and with whom do we share your personal information?
We sometimes share your personal information:
- with third parties who work with our organisation for business purposes, such as clinical services providers, accreditation agencies or information technology providers – these third parties are required to comply with APPs and this policy
- with other healthcare providers
- when it is required or authorised by law (e.g. court subpoenas)
- when it is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to a participant’s life, health or safety or public health or safety, or it is impractical to obtain the participant’s consent
- to assist in locating a missing person
- to establish, exercise or defend an equitable claim
- for the purpose of confidential dispute resolution process
- when there is a statutory requirement to share certain personal information (e.g. some diseases require mandatory notification)
- during the course of providing any Puka Up Program, to the referee via wellbeing summary
- contractors providing a service to Puka Up
- to any other organisation or individual as necessary in order to provide you with the service you have engaged us for.
Puka Up will endeavour to ensure the personal information we store is accurate, up-to-date and complete, and we will also aim to disclose your personal information only if it is relevant to the third party in question.
Only people who need to access your information will be able to do so. Other than in the course of providing services or as otherwise described in this policy, Puka Up will not share personal information with any third party without your consent.
We will not share your personal information with anyone outside Australia (unless under exceptional circumstances that are permitted by law) without your consent.
How do we store and protect your personal information?
We will store your personal information in electronic files and paper files. Your information will only be accessed by Puka Up staff, contractors or volunteers in the course of providing you the service, program or event you have engaged us for.
We will seek to ensure as far as possible that your personal information is protected from misuse, unauthorised access or disclosure, however, due to the inherent risks associated with electronic storage, it is not possible for Puka Up to ensure that third parties we use such as Cloud providers act according to Australian privacy laws at all times.
How can you access and correct your personal information at Puka Up?
You may request access to your personal information held by Puka Up by contacting our Privacy Officer in writing. If access is refused, a written notice will be provided to you explaining the reasons and the recourse available.
It may be necessary to verify your identity and to ask you to specify what information you require. We may charge a fee to recover our costs of verifying the access request, located, retrieving, reviewing, copying and providing access to information requested.
You may also request a correction to the personal information we store by contacting our Privacy Officer in writing. We will make any appropriate corrections, or if we do not agree with the corrections requested, a written notice will be provided to you explaining the reasons and the recourse available.
Privacy and our website
Our website www.pukaup.com is available for your convenience. You may contact us through our website via e-mail.
Contacting us – enquiries, complaints and opting out
Puka Up Pty Ltd
3 Mount Street
Prahran VIC 3181
You can also lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by calling 1300 363 992 or emailing [email protected]
Current as of: 24 March 2020